Curt Olson - Emergency Manager
PO Box 189
Onida, SD 57564
Tele: (605) 258-2244
Fax: (605) 258-2394
The Emergency Manager is appointed by the Commissioners. The Sully County Office of Emergency Management serves as liaison between all emergency responders in an effort to coordinate efficient and effective response to all emergencies and disasters. Other duties attached to the Sully County Office of Emergency Management have included rural addressing, development of 9 1 1 services, search and rescue, and most recently, homeland security.
Immediate goals of the County Emergency Management Office are:
- Save lives, protect property, and maintain the environment.
- Coordinate, advise, and assist political subdivision, businesses and populace in the county regarding emergency management procedures, developments, programs, and policies.
- Develop plans relative to the County Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) in support of public safety and health.
Long range goals of the County Emergency Management Office are:
- To insure maximum survival of citizens in the event of natural or technological emergencies / disasters.
- To insure the preparedness of county and local governments as well as other public agencies to respond to and recover from natural or technological emergencies / disasters.
- To insure maximum survival of county residents by incorporating concepts of emergency / disaster preparedness in schools, educational instructions, and public informational programs.
- To increase public awareness concerning home safety, storm safety, etc. through a public awareness program.
- To initiate and maintain hazardous material protection for the county through the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC).
As part of the “homeland security” function, the Sully County Office of Emergency Management has acquired equipment to assist in the protection and safety of emergency responders and the public.